Saturday, April 16, 2011

What's NOT to Love about Boston?

Did you ever notice how intimidating it is to visit a busy city?  But then you overcome the fear and you go and you conquer it.  While you are there, a new feeling grows inside of you.  This is how I feel about Boston.  Perhaps I was from Boston in a former life (past life) because I feel very connected to it but afraid at the same time!  I have been to Boston on a few occassions...maybe 20.  I have gone to a few Red Sox games at Fenway Stadium and eaten at some places nearby.  There have been church functions, dances, show and Conferences I have attended throughout the Boston area...even a few I have sung at.  I considered a college in Boston back when it was time to scout out potential schools...Berkeley College of Music.  I made the excuse that it was too expensive to go there, but the truth is I was afraid!  I could not imagine (at that time) going to school in a city like Boston with it's bustling urban energy.  Instead I chose rural University of Rhode Island.


On a recent journey into Boston, I got to discover a bit of the feeling of this historic city.  The Back Bay district is almost like Boston's shadow...so far from the clustering of Major hotspots like The Children's Museum and the Aquarium (2 favorites of mine).  On the day of this visit, I had to produce results in a way I have not had to before...I had an important task:  to deliver a young actress to her potential agent!  After a serious bit of contemplation, we decided that we would use the Amtrak train to commute.  We allowed 2 hours for our round-trip visit which proved to be ample time for the task.  Luckily, the location of our Agency was to be a mere 2 blocks from the station...a short and pleasant walk.  There is a certain quality to the Bostonian.  They possess the aire of regalness mixed with the cool aloofness of a New Englander.  The Bostonite dresses casual but new...they have a fresh, smart appearance and they are cutting edge.


We fit in, if only barely.  Our day was an adventure and eventually we were signed on for representation by Model Club Inc.  On our second trip up to Boston we would have an audition at Christine Wyse Casting a few blocks from the Agency.  Dining at several places along the way on these occassions was another exciting venture.  There are so many great eateries all around.
Maybe some things have a way of feeling magical because they are so far out of the normal range of regular life, that they just take on a whole new life of their own.  Here in this photo, Annika is posing just outside of the Model Club Agency Studio.  She was charming and fun during her audition and got many great compliments from the Agents.  It is such a pleasure to hear from them and know that they see something in her.  They believe she has potential to do great things as an Actor or model in Movie, Tv or commercials...even Print Ads.   There are many directions for her to go in and we get to see which one is ready for her.

Later in the month we would travel (by car) to a suburban area outside of Boston called Stoughton where we met an excellent photographer.  A picture has great transformative properties.  So many important revelations can come from a photograph.  I am eager to see what our Agents will have to say when they see the charisma and nature of her in these photos. She was a combination of Genuine and passionate.  I envy her ability to materialize ideas into emotions.  She knows how to deliver a feeling and a thought with her eyes and her body.  Annika is a vital force of nature.  If she is air, it is wind.  If she is water, she is a tidal wave.  If she is heat, she is an inferno.  There is no smallness in her, only greatness.  I cherish my little fireball!


photo by RDP photography

~April 8, 2011~

No comments:

Post a Comment