Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How it All Began

On a completely average day in February (or late January) 2011, Annika approached me to have a very serious conversation.  It was probably a Sunday evening because I recall I was working weekends for AAA, SNE and I had just come home from my shift.  Annika was apologetic for bothering me with what it was she wanted.  Of course, I did not feel bothered.  I wanted to know  the desires of her heart.  She had been taking Guitar Lessons for about 3 months at this point.  She went on to tell me that although performing music was great, she did not see herself as a Guitarist but wanted to become an Actor.  To be specific, Annika dreams of being a disney Channel SitCom Actress.  She has great comedic timing and she is funny and outgoing.  Her facial gestures are right on target!

So on this particular night, Annika told me about how she and her sisters had been out that day shopping.  Her sisters are both adults with about 20 years on her.  She heard a Radio commercial announcing Auditions for the Disney Channel (her favorite channel).  She memorized the 800 number so we could call it.  So this is what she tells me as I come in from the last shift of my second job...hmmm.  Mama had a choice on how to respond.  In the past I feel I have not listened fully to her wishes and desires pertaining to this avenue of interest and so on this particular day the difference was that I was moved by her passion and her sincere attempt at persuasion.  She earnestly shared with me what her desires were.  Her father was there listening too.  I really didn't think anything would come of it but I was willing to spend a bit of my time researching the Child Acting Industry and teaching her (and myself) a few things about it.

That evening, in our pajamas, we curled up with the laptop and performed a few "Google Searches" about Acting.  We found some websites that list Acting Opportunities and who post Auditions and places to create memberships to find Audition opportunities.  We explored this together and I tried to keep an open mind although I believed her interest would fade in time.  I was focused on my own Business Idea of creating my own Wedding and Event Planning Business this year.  There would be no time to pursue a hobby for Annika, like Acting !  I had seen plenty of Child actor Bio's to know that the Moms and Dads have to sacrifice time and money to get involved.  But to not be discouraging, I just persisted in searching and remaining optimistic, even if only in appearances.
Annika at Hollywood Studios Florida on her 5th Birthday, 2005

But then something happened.  I know exactly what it was, even if others cannot see it! It was the Law of Attraction and Annika's destiny working together in my life.  A few weeks had passed since this conversation...or perhaps only about 10 days had passed.  Whatever the case, it was definitely a Sunday Afternoon and I was returning from my shift at AAA again.  But what was going to happen had already been set into motion by my own thoughts and intentions and desires, unbeknownst to me.  You see, I had recently concluded that my weekend (extra money) job was pointless....a meaningless effort with only one useful benefit, and that was to create a savings account.  fortunately I had created a bit of savings by working hard at it for a few months.  My job would end mid-March and I had just decided that I was done.  I was not going to look for any other opportunities with AAA when this job ended.  this is significant because I believe it was the act of deciding that caused the other turn of events.

As I approached my exit at TF Green airport, Warwick off of 95 South, I heard it!  The Radio commercial that Annika had told me about...I heard it myself!  They gave the phone number and it announced that Auditions were being held in my area and the opportunity being presented had to do with the Disney channel.  I took out my cell phone and quickly typed the phone number. In a matter of seconds I was on the line with a woman who took some basic information and scheduled the Audition time for the following weekend on Saturday at noon.  All I needed was a photo, and to have Annika prepare a 1-minute monologue.  As I hung up the phone I thought to myself, "what did I just do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment