Monday, November 7, 2011

Nine-year olds and friendship

My nine-year old, Annika M Salgado, is an extraordinary kid!  Since she was only a year old, she has had a social circle...friends.  Now at nine, Annika still has a large social circle and receives recognition often from adults too!  Annika is an Actress through and through.  Also, Annika loves to serve and support.  Being that I am a Social person and understand the importance of networking, my daughter Annika has become my shadow.  I think this is good for Annika.  From a young age she is already learning the importance of relationships...all kinds of relationships.

There are some really important people in Annika's life:  Her sisters and her brother, close friends, schoolmates and her dad and me.  Part of Annika's development as a fourth grader, is acceptance of change and the possibility that people change.  When our friends change this can sometimes leave us feeling a little empty or lost.  Annika has experienced this a little over the last 12 months of her life.  For better or worse though, she has one friend who has always remained constant...Nicolas.

Friendships go through a lot and Annika has had some challenges at school and on the bus and sometimes had problems just getting along with kids here at the house and in the daycare.  She is fiery...demanding.  But on her best days, Annika is delightfully generous and warm-hearted.  She comes home from school and embraces the little ones with love and affection.  I even get a hug sometimes!  I love when I get a hug.  But besides me and her dad and sisters, Annika's biggest fan is her closest and oldest friend Nicolas.

Annika also loves her friends David and Ally who come after school on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  The four of them together and with Lex have a great time playing and making up shows and dances and games!  As a Mother, and as ANNIKA's MOTHER, I believe this is very good for her development...having to share her space and her Mom and her time each day.  Some days she is not in the mood...but most of the time she does really well.  She would be incredibly lonely without these friends!



Nicolas helped create their band, Oceanside (with David Yabut)

Oceanside perform at YGA 2nd Annual Talent Show in April 2011 (Nicolas lead singer)

Nicolas, David Yabut and Annika with neighbors Haylee and Faith in Summer 2011

Annika's baby brother Lex with David and Ally Yabut and Nicolas and Annika

Nicolas and Annika at ages 4 and 5 with Original Daycare group, Haleigh and TJ

Nicolas Abatemarco over the Summer 2011
10 years old
Outside of Annika's Childcare and school circle, she has Darien.  Darien is also a very special friend and someone who is always there for her and supports her honestly.  He watched out for her.  Annika considers Darien to be like a brother..often referring to him as a half-brother.  I admire her for her warmth and her openness with regards to her family.  Much like with Nicolas, whom she sometimes calls a brother, Darien has been in her life a long time.



Annika will come to understand...as years go on...the value of having relationships with people who have known you your whole life.  They can answer questions you have as you get older.  This is something I do not have...never had.  Perhaps keeping these Blogs is my way of recording it so that Annika and Lex can reflect later.

Another very importnat relationship in Annika's life is with her Girlfriends!  She has plenty of them and she loves them dearly!




Mama and Annika in Annika's daycare...where I was the Lead teacher in her classroom...because I can never be away from my babies...nope, I cannot...I just can;t do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment